Monday 15 October 2012

L'addiction s'il vous plait

Apparently I have been in denial. Or maybe just underplaying it. It seems that I have an addiction. It was only last night as I added more photos to my Facebook page that I truly realised the extent of it.

Hi, my name is Trish and I am addicted to French Food.

 My favourite French band



There. I said it. It is out there now. 

I loved it before failsafe. Buttery croissants, coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon, baguettes with lashings of butter, tarte au fraise, crêpes, crème brûlée, cheese, wine and I'm getting quite worked up just thinking about it all (I may also be addicted to dairy looking at that list).

It seems only natural that I would be converting as much as I can to failsafe. It helps that a lot of it is easy to convert.

My latest attempt was soupe à l'oignon or as you would know it - French onion soup. Onion is out, but leek is in. Leeks are about as cheap as they get at this time of year. They aren't as big as they are at other times, but try to get the thicker ones so you get more bang for your buck.

Not the golden brown hue of its onion counterpart, but equally satisfying.


Soupe aux Poireaux  (leek soup) (Serves 8 as entree)
Ingredients
  • Leek, halved lengthways, washed and sliced - Aim for about 1kg chopped which was 5 short fat leeks for me.
  • 3 Tbsp failsafe oil (or nuttelex or ghee if tolerated)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup rice flour (or other tolerated flour)
  • 2 1/2 Litres of liquid (water or stock or whiskey. I used 1/2 cup whiskey, 1Tbsp stock concentrate and the rest water)
  • Bread to serve.
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan and add the leeks. Cook over a medium to low heat for about 30mins stirring occasionally until they start to caramelise.
  2. Add the garlic and flour and stir for a few minutes.
  3. Gradually add the liquid while stirring to ensure there are no floury lumps.
  4. Cover the saucepan and simmer for about 25 mins.
  5. Serve with slices of grilled garlic bread on top
Variations
  • Salicylates - Use onions (duh), add a bay leaf and a few sprigs of thyme.
  • Non Failsafe guests? Serve with slices of baguette that have been grilled with grated gruyere cheese on top.
 This was a brilliant starter for my Mum's birthday dinner of Boeuf à la Ficelle. The kids had garlic bread slices on top of theirs (I had a few pieces of gluten free garlic bread in the freezer) and the adults had the cheesy baguette option. It was enjoyed by all.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete