Thursday 11 August 2011

What is a party without sugar?

So, we've had a gap between my first post and this one. I guess the excitement wore off a bit when I thought no one would ever read this little blog and I'm not sure how well this reads when I am typing after I've finally got the kids to sleep and my brain has gone to automatic shut down.

New found inspiration has come from a little group on facebook, who are constantly looking for new ideas for food for their little failsafe kids. I found myself typing out recipes and ideas in little threads and suddenly thinking it would be so much easier if I put them all in one place and just had to post a link. So there you have it and I'm back.

Other treats on the birthday menu were fairy floss, doughnuts and sherbet

The kids went crazy for the sherbet... I mean super crazy. They thought it was hilarious. It was probably the easiest thing to make ever.

Sherbet
1 cup pure icing sugar
3 tsp citric acid
3 tsp bicarb soda

Sift the icing sugar, then stir in the acid and soda. Pop scoops into little cellophane bags (I used the extra ones from the lollipops) and tie it tightly as any moisture that may get into it will start the fizzing. I put them all into a plastic top hat with a cup full of plastic tea spoons.

The fairy floss is also easy, if you have someone to work the machine for you. We got a $20 machine and it was kind of lucky that there was so much else to eat and do as it only made quite tiny serves. If you needed a lot of it and reasonable sized serves, it would probably be worth hiring a machine.


Grandparents working the treats stand


The doughnuts were also quite easy and I enlisted grandparent help for that too. I have a doughnut maker which takes minimal effort to use. The recipes that come with it are not yeast ones, they just use baking powder which is a bonus with gluten free.

The basic Gluten and dairy free batter
1 1/2 cups GF plain flour (I use Orgran)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp GF baking powder
125g Nuttelex, melted
3/4 cup milk of choice
1 egg lightly beaten (I am positive egg replacer would also work)

Preheat doughnut machine.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well and whisk in nuttelex milk and egg until a smooth batter is formed. Transfer to a jug.
Spray machine with failsafe cooking oil. Fill the bases of doughnut rings with batter. Close the lid and cook for 6mins or until golden and cooked through.
Use a non-stick spatula to remove the doughnut and either cool on racks or toss straight into a dish of caster sugar. They can also be iced when cold.



The goodies table. Lollies, chips, sherbet and 'lemon'ade and labeled cups



To drink there was an esky full of bottled water and a dispenser full of failsafe 'lemon'ade.

'Lemon'ade
1 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp citric acid

Dissolve sugar in boiling water, stir in citric acid.
Dilute 1 part cordial with 4 parts soda water.

To save time during the party, have it already made up in bottles or a dispenser.


The kids loved the snacks and played loads of party games before they had dinner.




3 comments:

  1. Hi! We are FAILSAFE here in the US (and also gluten/casein/soy free). I'm glad to stumbled over here for some yummy recipes! Too bad we don't have Nuttelex here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey! Thanks for stopping by. Is there any nuttelex equivalent in the US? I just had a little look at Earth Balance I thought surely they would have something, but they don't! In some recipes you may be able to substitute a failsafe oil. I might test it next time and let you know how I go.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! No, there isn't really a good substitute here. We use ghee for baking (which is bleh!) or oil when we can. The soy free Earth Balance would be great but it is colored with annatto.

    ReplyDelete